söndag, augusti 16, 2009

I just found a piece of paper given to me by some friends to my boyfriend who live in Livingston, Scotland. We visited them on our trip over there and started talking about the scottish language and how lovely it is. I asked for explanations to certain words, and got the short list:

eejit - idiot (sounds pretty much the same to me)
haver - talk rubbish (like in the song 500 miles: "when I haver, well I know I'm gonna be haverin' to you")
dour - miserable
numpty - daft, stupid
wheesht - shut up
stramash - conflict
birl - twirl, turn round
drookit - wet
laldie - energetic, enthusuatic
drouth [drooth] - thirst
mauchit - dirty, filthy
glaikit - ugly
scunner - fed up
gallus - brave, confident
fankle - mixed up
greet - cry
neep - turnip
canny - wise
teuchter - people from the highlands
braw - nice

Some of these words actually makes some sense!

2 kommentarer:

Martina sa...

Jag fick precis ett samtal från polisen i Trelleborg, de hade hittat din cykel (som fortfarande är märkt med mitt namn). Jag hoppas att han får tag på dig, jag hade inte ditt telefonnummer lätt tillgängligt.

Fia sa...

Det var mycket lustigt hur vi inledde detta samtal över telefon egentligen.. "Har polisen ringt dig?" Blev nästan litet orolig då du sa så.. hann tänka igenom vad jag kunde ha åkt dit för.. ;)