lördag, augusti 01, 2009

Edinburgh Castle

On monday we went to see Edinburgh Castle, the most important castle in the Scottish history. The castle itself is situated on a hilltop. First you go through a huge gate connected to the outer wall, and then there are several large stone buildings, sort of like a little village, some connected and some standing by them selves, on different levels as you walk up to the actual castle.
As you walk along the steps and stairs you realise that your in the middle of an old military compound. To this day there's actually still a military regement living in one of the wings of the castle, and in one of the other wings they have a military museum with machines and guns.





In one of the grassy balconys (that's not a good word for them but I cant find a better) you find an old soldier dog cemetery (notice the headstones close to the wall).




The whole castle is surrounded by guards because they actually have the Scottish Honours in a separate museum where the kings and queens had their apartments. It's actually quite cool to follow the scottish history trail around in the rooms, and there's a long story to how the honours where kept safe during war, and then went missing, only to be discovered a hundred years afterwards in an old huge chest with a fake bottom. Of course, we weren't allowed to take pictures of them, otherwise I would have showned them to you.. :)








I'm sure some of you not-so-in-love-with-Scotland as myself must be thinking 'That all fine, but what's going on with you right now?' And to that I can tell you that I've started working again, with is really though because of the lovely weather and all. As soon as I see people heading to the beach I get really jealous. But I hang in there, thinkin' I'll get my chance during weekends. All though, it's weekend right now and I'm not at the beach (what am I doing in doors on this lovely hot summers day?!). I'm home alone and have rented a movie (Fried Green Tomatoes) and have bought crisps and Ben&Jerrys. Maybe I'll go out for a walk in a while, exercise is good, (or so I've been told).

Inga kommentarer: