söndag, juli 26, 2009

Stirling Castle

Just started transferring pictures to the computer and realized that I better divide it up into themes, starting with the first castle we went to, The Stirling Castle.

The first day that we were in Scotland we really didn't have the time to start sightseeing because we were just adjusting to driving on the left side of the road and trying to find our hotel in the million-city Glasgow, (which would have been really simpel if there just was one Mill Street instead of two)... The second day, we started out for Stirling Castle and then the William Wallace Monument (or as I constantly miss-said: 'The William Wallace Document'. I am a wee bit whimpsy, I am. I get that from my mother... ;)

The Stirling Castle is the second most important castle in all of Scotlands history, with only Edinburgh Castle toping it. It played a big role in many of the battles between scots and englishmen until it was destroyed in the 16th century and later rebuilt by the Stuarts (if I undetstood it correctly...)
Here's some pics, enjoy!







The inner wall, inside the courtyard, and looking out from the inner wall onto the outer defence, where I stood in the picture below.







Now, some of the more important historical persons of Scotland. Lets see.. there's me, Robert the Bruce and James Stuart the Fifth. In that order...






The view of Stirling Castle and from Stirling Castles outer defence.
Next post will be about the William Wallace monument, stay tuned!

Inga kommentarer: