fredag, juli 24, 2009

I'm back!

I'm actually quite sad to say this... but I'm back from Scotland... (where I have spent one of the loveliest weeks in my life!) The trip was mainly across the country, staying at B&B's, visiting historic sites, listening to folk music and photographing mountains.

What surprised me the most was that the villages were so old, that every place had been touched somehow by the violent history of Scotland (and there is sooo much history). I loved how every house was so small and pitoresque (some of them even dating back to the 18th century) , built in and with old cracked slate roofs. And the town with the windling streets with cute little shops, with old signs... and of course the language was even better than I've imagined. I've heard scottish before (hello, Star Trek fan! Scotty is my main man!) but now I got to hear it in real life and I loved the melody of it and had so much fun small talking with people I met.

During my stay I've visited some acquaintances to my boyfriend, and they taught me a few scottish words. I learned the meaning of the word "haver", which I've heard a million times in the song "500 miles" but never fully understood... until now that is. It means yappering on, babbeling, talking mumbo-jumbo, bullsh$t, something like that.

I've been to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth, Inverness, Pitlochry, Kyle of Lochlachan, the Isle of Skye with Portree on it, and many, many more places. I've been on a boat trip on the Loch Ness, I've been to Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle, Linlithgow Palace, Eilen Donan Castle, The Man of Storr, The Kilt Rocks... I've seen the amasing view of the mountain group the Five Sisters on the road to Skye. There were not a lot of time though, and Skye I didn't see much of before I had to turn back towards Glasgow to get to Prestwick Airport in the early morning (for which I'm really sad).

What I know for sure is that I've fallen in love with the country and some way or another I will return, as often as I can. Maybe I'll book a weekend to wander in Skye, or maybe I'll take my dad on a whiskey and golf-tour, or my mother on an historic adventure. My acquaintances has told me that their parents have a house in Orkney where we could stay, and of course I want to visit Orkney and see that part of the country too, so I definitely think that'll happen.

Isn't it strange how you come to a place you often have thought of going, and when you get there you feel right at home? Maybe I'm actually ment to live in Scotland? Or at least have a holidayhouse there?

More to come when I upload all the pictures from the trip!

Fia over and out!

2 kommentarer:

Martina sa...

Välkommen hem! Har du med dig några presenter? ;)

Om jag har råd nästa sommar (dvs. om jag får jobb) så tycker jag att vi åker till Skottland med våra respektive en vecka eller två.

Fia sa...

Presenter.. hmm, det kan du få nästa gång... då jag kommer ihåg det. =) Du fick väl mitt vykort iaf?

Och jo, jag tycker definitivt att vi skall åka allihopa, men bered dig på en del tunga promenader, det är ganska mycket nivåskillnader mellan gator och sånt.. Jag blev alldeles svettig av att gå på stan! =)