lördag, december 05, 2009

Copenhagen, or There and back again

Today we went to Copenhagen for the first time (in my life). The mission was to eat danish christmas brunch, cause this is a popular thing to do in Denmark. It just so happens, it's SO popular that people book restaurants months, maybe a year in advance, so that they can enjoy this tradition on a annual base. So, naturally, there where not a single restaurant that served christmas brunch that had vacancies. Bummer. But never the less, someone in the group (I'm not pointing any fingers, but there's two of us and I'm not the one being pointed at) wanted to check through all of Copenhagen - just in case there where any cancellations. A thorough empirical study gave us an accurate answer: there were NO cancellations.

After me, desperately trying to get us to at least buy a hot dog, we finally settled for ordinary brunch. And by that time, I was a complete mess. I hadn't eaten a thing all morning, and - having a sensitive blood sugar - I was more like a zombie than anything else. I was growling, snapping, complaining. But when I warmed up in the restaurant and got good food and a beer, I quickly became my old self again.

Mission number two was to go into Tivoli, a famous amusementpark that has wonderful christmas decoration. Having been warned by people NOT to go there late in the afternoon because it would be too crowded , the goal was to go directly after brunch. But since the brunch took soo long, we where at Tivoli around four in the afternoon, and the que to get inside was several blocks long. We threw that idea out of the window and went to a pub to buy some more beer.

Needless to say, I was somewhat disapointed, more with missing out on Tivoli than missing the christmas brunch, but it was all okay in the end since we actually got to see a LOT of Copenhagen. We went all the way to Nyhavn (which is a really long walk!) and we ate aebbleskider ('appleslices' that are put in pancake dough, turned into balls, and eaten with tasty jam). The danish people seem very happy (I've heard something about it having to do with the amount of alcohol they drink every day...) and I would LOVE to go over another day. After all, it's only 50 kilometres away. All we had to do was take the train, and we're there!

1 kommentar:

Mike sa...

låter som om ni hade en trevlig dag i slutändan...